Watch this space for things to do at PJ 2019!
Ham Radio Returns to PJ 2019!
Three dedicated Ham Radio enthusiasts and Scouters- Ron Bilinsky, Don Tolson, and Mike Bingley- will bring Scout Ham Radio callsign VE7SHR to Pacific Jamboree as one of the many drop-in activities planned for the Gathering Place.
Ham Radio is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics, and communication together. People use ham radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the Internet or cell phones. It’s fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need.
Scouts attending PJ 2019 will have the opportunity to earn one of the coveted PJ Ham Radio badges by completing a few tasks, including:
- Sit in on a talk on how to earn your Ham Radio certification
- Talk on a Ham Radio (VHF/UHF/HF) with a Ham Radio operator
- Decipher a daily written Morse Code message
- Learn the phonetic alphabet
- Make a Morse Code beaded bracelet out of your name
- Practice sending and receiving messages in Morse Code
- Complete a Ham Radio word search
- Look up an available Call Sign that you might want
- Learn the Morse Code for the first 5 letters of the alphabet and for SOS
At PJ 2015, Scouts at the Ham Radio station were able to communicate with other Ham Radio operators in Alaska, Russia, the Virgin Islands, a weather ship at sea, and even Disneyland! Thanks to many generous donations, there is now a permanent Ham Radio shack at Camp Barnard for visitors and campers to try out year-round.